Thursday, November 4, 2010

Silk Nighties For Men

Film notes: I, Robot / The Thing From Another World


I, ROBOT (2004). I like Alex Proyas, even if not all of his films are equally strong - but I like to address the ambition in large-scale genre blockbusters philosophical concepts and to link this with the large scale. I, ROBOT is based on Isaac Asimov and the question is what a human mind: In 2035, human-like robots to perform menial tasks for us all - until they reach through an evolution of consciousness in which they can defy our orders.

No, the film is not perfect by far. Main problem is the CGI animations that make everything look like cartoon: None of the robots movements and none of the action sequences gives some sense of physicality, for weight and physicality, actions and reactions. Everything jumps around cheerfully, without the slightest sense to be credible. This of course undermines the effectiveness of the story, the acting values actually are carried away more than they do in the end. And although I Will Smith likes, he is hardly the right choice for the anachronistic machines haters who prefer to drive or own cars, and no unit trust, speak with him - would have because it needed a more angular and less brilliant actor as Will Smith, who always a little too casual and simply not the type to which one must buy into, something that gnaws at him or something he goes to the kidneys.

is Still I, ROBOT is not uninteresting. The comparisons of artificial creation and evolution, by throwing cold logic and sense of unreason, of political and religious motives quite a few interesting Ideas. The best exchanges in the film is, as discussed Will Smith with a robot about its limitations. "Can robots compose a symphony, or turn a canvas into a great masterpiece?" He wants to know. The robot looks at him curiously: "Can you do that?"



THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1982). John Carpenter's probably best film. Maybe that would also ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, but it's probably this one. Perfect terror. What do I need to say more about it?

Except maybe how great and fantastic, the film looks but now out on BluRay. The broad picture radiation completely clean and sharp. The image quality is better than BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA on BluRay, which already looked so beautiful though. But here is the TV again a very different beast: It works .

-----------------
4 8 15 16 23 42

0 comments:

Post a Comment